A summer reading intensive program focused on retaining and enhancing reading and comprehension skills, as well as preparation for the next academic year
Loss of literacy skills during summer break is a substantial and sobering problem among students. Considerable research on this topic shows it’s usually the students who can least afford to lose ground as readers who are most likely to suffer from summer reading loss and fall far behind their peers. Because learning or reading skill losses during the summer months are cumulative, by the time a struggling reader reaches middle school, summer reading loss has accumulated to a two-year lag in reading achievement.
Why students need a summer reading intensive
- Of all the activities in which students engage outside of school, time spent actually reading is the best predictor of reading achievement; the more students read, the better readers they become.
- Students who struggle with reading and do not have sufficient skills to decode text, are less likely to engage in the activity of reading.
- Students reading below grade level are more likely to suffer from summer reading loss and fall further behind their peers.
- Program runs June 4th-July 27th
- Monday - Thursday from 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- The cost is $110/week (lunch included)
- $100 nonrefundable registration fee